He has a thick chest, broad face, lined cheeks, mostly gray hair and is a head shorter than Rand. (TEotW,Ch1) He is a blocky man. His hair is now completely gray and he has more lines on his bluff face. (KoD,Ch29)
Chronology (Possible Spoilers)#
Before Start of Series#
- Tam al'Thor leaves the Two Rivers as a boy and joins the army of Illian. He fights in the Whitecloak War, two wars with Tear and the Aiel War rising in rank to Second Captain of the Illianer Companions and becoming a blademaster. (TGH,Ch8)
- King Mattin Stepaneos presents Tam al'Thor of the Illianer Companions with a One Power-crafted heron-mark sword. (Book Signing)
- As a young soldier Demetre Marcolin serves under Second Captain Tam al'Thor. (TPoD,Ch13)
- At the end of the Aiel War, during the Battle of the Shining Walls, Tam finds baby Rand on the slopes of Dragonmount. He and his wife, Kari al'Thor, return to the Two Rivers with the baby. (TEotW,Ch6, TEotW,Ch16)
Start of Series#
- At the annual sheep shearing, Tam shears with the other Village Council members. He tells the boys the story of the Shadow War and Lews Therin Telamon. (TEotW,Earlier)
- Tam and Rand walk to Emond's Field with Bela pulling a cart. He talks with the other townsfolk. (TEotW,Ch1)
- Tam meets with the other members of the Village Council. (TEotW,Ch2)
- Bran al'Vere, at the urging of Tam al'Thor, suggests that Fain come inside the inn and talk to the Village Council. (TEotW,Ch3)
- Rand and Tam head back to the farm. (TEotW,Ch4)
- Tam gives Rand his sword. Trollocs attack the farm and Tam is wounded. (TEotW,Ch5)
- Rand carries Tam back to Emond's Field In his delirium, Tam rants about the Aiel War and about finding Rand. (TEotW,Ch6)
- Nynaeve cannot help Tam. Thom and Bran help Rand bring him to a room in the Winespring Inn. (TEotW,Ch7)
- Moiraine Heals Tam. (TEotW,Ch8)
- Rand tells Tam he is leaving. Marin and Bran will take care of him till he is well. (TEotW,Ch9)
After Rand Leaves#
- Abell Cauthon and Tam visit Tar Valon in hopes of learning what happened to Rand and Mat but they are sent home with no information. (TDR,Ch20, TSR,Ch31)
The Battle of Two Rivers#
- When the Whitecloaks arrive, Tam and Abell manage to escape and hide in the woods. (TSR,Ch29)
- Tam and Abell arrive at the old sickhouse and greet Perrin. (TSR,Ch31)
- Tam and others ride to scout the Whitecloak encampment at Watch Hill. Halfway there, they stop at Jac al'Seen's place. (TSR,Ch32)
- Tam, Abell and the others wait while Perrin, Faile and the Aiel free the prisoners. Tam, Abell and some others hide the Luhhans and Cauthons while Perrin and the rest lead the Whitecloaks away. (TSR,Ch33)
- Tam and Abell arrive shortly after Perrin is brought in with an arrow in his side. (TSR,Ch43)
- Perrin has Tam, Abell and Bran organize the Emond's Field defenses. (TSR,Ch44)
- Tam begins teaching Aram how to use a sword. (TSR,Ch45)
- Tam, Abell, Bran and Cenn Buie help Perrin plan in the Winespring Inn. (TSR,Ch53)
- Tam al'Thor, Alanna and Ihvon lead the forces at the south perimeter at the defense of Emond's Field. (TSR,Ch56)
After the Battle of Two Rivers#
- Tam and Abell give Perrin advice on how to deal with the mayors of the Two Rivers villages. (LoC,Prologue)
- Mazrim Taim visits the Two Rivers recruiting Asha'man and tells Tam that Rand is the Dragon Reborn. (KoD,Ch29)
- Perrin recruits Tam to be his First Captain in the battle of Malden. Tam brings a few thousand Two Rivers archers with him. (KoD,Ch29)
- Tam organizes the Two Rivers men to bring water for their travels. (TGS,Ch9)
- Perrin sends another group of refugees to Tam. (ToM,Ch2)
- Tam attends Perrin-s staff meeting. They agree to send a scouting mission to Cairhien. (ToM,Ch6)
- Perrin walks through his camp with Tam. (ToM,Ch10)
- Tam reports that many of the refugees do not want to go home. They want to stay with Perrin's army. (ToM,Ch21)
- Trying to intimidate the Whitecloaks at the parley, Tam has the Two Rivers men launch an impressive barrage of arrows. He then attends the parley between Perrin and Galad. (ToM,Ch26)
- Cadsuane locates Perrin's camp on the Jehannah Road and finds Tam. Tam makes his apologies to Perrin saying he has to leave, something to do with Rand. Cadsuane brings him to the Stone of Tear. (TGS,Ch47, ToM,Ch29)
- Rand and Tam talk and Tam gives him advice on dealing with his fate. Rand cannot choose what he does, but he can choose why he does it. Rand learns that Cadsuane coached Tam, becomes enraged, and nearly kills him. (TGS,Ch47)
- Tam bursts in on Cadsuane and her party and angrily asks what she did to Rand. He relates what happened and calls her a bully. (TGS,Ch48)
- Rand returns to Tear and has a tearful reunion with Tam. He introduces Tam and Min. (ToM,Ch13)
- Rand sends Tam with an Asha'man to the Two Rivers to gather more men for the Last Battle. (ToM,Ch25)
- As the armies mass at the Field of Merrilor, Tam is in the Two Rivers gathering more men for the Last Battle. (ToM,Ch53)
- Elayne is worried that the archers will hit their own men, but Tam assures her that they can hit their intended targets. (AMoL,Ch10)
Other References (Possible Spoilers)#
- In New Spring
- In The Eye of the World
- TEotW,Ch1 - Tam is the best archer in Emond's Field.
- TEotW,Ch13 - Rand recognizes Lan's description of mental preparation as the flame and the void that Tam taught him.
- TEotW,Ch16 - Nynaeve tells Rand about Tam and Kari al'Thor returning to Emond's Field with a baby.
- TEotW,Ch33 - Rand has a nightmare in which Tam looks down at him frowning.
- TEotW,Ch53 - Rand wants to go home to Tam, but knows he cannot.
- In The Dragon Reborn
- TDR,Ch20 - Lanfear tells Mat that Tam and Abell came to the White Tower looking for Rand and him.
- TDR,Ch24 - Tam wins the Emond's Field quarterstaff competition if Abell Cauthon does not.
- TDR,Ch39 - Egwene recalls that Moiraine told them Tam and Kari al'Thor were not Rand's birth parents.
- TDR,Ch32 - In his dreams, Rand is visited by Shadowspawn in the guise of his loved ones including his father.
- In The Shadow Rising
- In The Path of Daggers
- In The Gathering Storm
- TGS,Ch22 - Rand still thinks of Tam as his real father even though he knows Janduin was his biological father.
- TGS,Ch44 - Rand thinks there has been no turning back for him since the day Tam found him on Dragonmount.
- TGS,Ch49 - Rand tries to deal with the fact that he almost killed Tam and he can blame no one but himself.
- TGS,Ch50 - Atop Dragonmount, Rand remembers Tam telling him that he can choose why he does his duty and that helps him achieve his breakthrough.
- In Towers of Midnight
- ToM,Ch12 - Nynaeve is frantic about Rand after he nearly killed Tam.
- ToM,Ch16 - If Perrin refuses to lead the Two Rivers, the people might pick a good leader like Bran al'Vere or Tam, but they just might pick someone like Cenn Buie.
- ToM,Ch18 - Working with Hopper in the wolf dream, Perrin smells determination that reminds him of Tam when he is training soldiers.
- ToM,Ch30 - Dannil Lewin is in charge of the Two Rivers men since Tam mysteriously left.
- ToM,Ch44 - Perrin has an army of seventy thousand trained under Dannil and Tam.
- In A Memory of Light