Map: A map of Malden and the surrounding area is available in Knife of Dreams hc pp. 604-605.
Malden is a city in northern Altara. The city is about four hundred paces wide and is surrounded by a stone wall. There is a huge cistern built into the northern wall fed by an aqueduct from a lake five miles east. Lady Cairen's fortress sits in the northeast corner. A road leads north and south. Its main commerce is wool and wine. The slate-roofed houses are built of timber or stone.
Stores, Inns, Manor Houses#
Lady Cairen's fortress
References (Possible Spoilers)#
- In Crossroads of Twilight
- In Knife of Dreams
- KoD,Prologue - Gaul and Neald kidnap Galina while she is riding outside Malden. Perrin has her verify the accuracy of his maps of Malden.
- KoD,Prologue - The fortress at the northeast corner of Malden belonged to Lady Cairen.
- KoD,Ch5 - The Shaido live in camps around Malden and usually only enter the city for water or other supplies.
- KoD,Ch26 - Perrin and his Seanchan (People) allies dump tons of forkroot into the aqueduct that supplies water to Malden. A small force makes its way through the aqueduct, out the cistern and into the fortress.
- KoD,Ch26 - Faile agrees to meet Galina in a building in the south part of Malden that is mostly burned out.
- KoD,Ch28 - Galina traps Faile and her party in the burned out building
- KoD,Ch29 - Perrin sets up his forces around Malden and begins his attack.
- KoD,Ch30 - With the Wise Ones disabled, the Two Rivers archers and damane overwhelm the Shaido around Malden and quickly defeat them.
- In The Gathering Storm