Shortly into the War of the Hundred Years, nobles of the province of Cairhien seized control and murdered every descendant of the last rulers of Tova. After months of infighting, Lord Matraine Colmcille was crowned first King of Cairhien.
Cairhien is ruled by a monarchy.
As with most nations of the Westlands, there are numerous strong noble Houses that wield influence. Known Houses of Cairhien are listed below.
- Aesnan - Lorstrum
- Annallin - Dalthanes, Daricain
- Chuliandred - Alaine, Doressin
- Daganred - Meresin
- Damodred - Laman, Barthanes, Moiraine, Taringail, Galad, Caraline, Moressin, Aldecain, Anvaere, Innloine
References (Possible Spoilers)#
- In the Guide
- In New Spring
- NS,Ch1 - Lan and Bukama were in Cairhien, Andor and Tear for two years fighting the Aiel War.
- NS,Ch6 - The White Tower wants Moiraine as Queen of Cairhien.
- NS,Ch6 - Outside of Moiraine's immediate family, House Damodred has a reputation for dark character.
- NS,Ch13 - A Cairhienin spy stalks Moiraine.
- NS,Ch13 - The colors of House Damodred are red, green and white.
- NS,Ch14 - Various Cairhienin Houses ply Moiraine.
- NS,Ch17 - There are four Houses vying for the throne.
- NS,Ch21 - A Cairhienin spy hires Caniedrin to assassinate Moiraine.
- In The Eye of the World
- In The Great Hunt
- In The Dragon Reborn
- In The Shadow Rising
- TSR,Ch13 - In a tavern in the Maule, Mat spots an out-of-luck Cairhienin noble wearing slashes of red, gold and green.
- TSR,Ch17 - The civil war in Cairhien is so bad that people are starving.
- TSR,Ch21 - Rand sends the Tairen army led by several High Lords to restore order and ease the famine in Cairhien.
- TSR,Ch34 - Rhuarc explains some of Rand's visions in the glass columns. The young man giving them water was Cairhienin. This led to the gift of Avendoraldera, its cutting by Laman, the Aiel War, and thereby Rand's birth.
- TSR,Ch41 - Raen tells Perrin that his band of TuathaAn traveled from Cairhien to Ghealdan to Andor in the past year.
- In The Fires of Heaven
- TFoH,Ch1 - Alteima tells Morgase that Rand left Tear with the Aiel. Morgase is surprised because she thought he was headed to Cairhien.
- TFoH,Ch23 - The Shaido enter Cairhien followed a few days later by Rand and the other clans.
- TFoH,Ch24 - Egwene tells Elayne that they are now in Cairhien. Couladin and the Shaido decimated the town of Selean.
- TFoH,Ch33 - There are Andoran soldiers in Cairhien. They want take the Sun Throne for Morgase.
- In A Crown of Swords
- ACoS,Ch3 - Rand intends the thrones of Andor and Cairhien for Elayne.
- ACoS,Ch4 - The colors of House Saighan are red, yellow and silver. The sign of House Saighan is a silver diamond on a red and yellow checked field.
- ACoS,Ch5 - Since the Aiel War, most of the farms near the Dragonwall are small and many have been abandoned.
- ACoS,Ch19 - The colors of House Dhulaine are red and green.
- ACoS,Ch35 - The colors of House Damodred are red and green and white.
- In The Path of Daggers
- In Winter's Heart
- In Crossroads of Twilight
- In Knife of Dreams
- In The Gathering Storm