Arad Doman is ruled by King Alsalam Saeed Almadar. The King, always male, is elected by the Council of Merchants, mostly women. The monarchy is near absolute but is not hereditary.
Council of Merchants#
As with most nations of the Westlands, there are numerous strong noble Houses that wield influence. Known Houses of Arad Doman are listed below.
References (Possible Spoilers)#
- In the Guide
- TWoTRPG - Information on the history and culture of Arad Doman.
- In New Spring
- In The Great Hunt
- TGH,Prologue - Domani noblewomen wear wide gold bracelets inscribed with their House symbols.
- TGH,Ch4 - There was a false Dragon in Arad Doman a couple of years ago but he could not channel.
- TGH,Ch7 - The Domani claim to be descended from those who made the Tree of Life.
- TGH,Ch9 - The Amyrlin sends a Warder from Fal Dara to Arad Doman to learn more about the trouble on Almoth Plain.
- In The Shadow Rising
- In The Fires of Heaven
- TFoH,Prologue - Evanellein reports to Elaida and her Council that there is no news out of Tarabon or Arad Doman.
- TFoH,Ch3 - There is a saying in Arad Doman, "The more women there are about, the softer a wise man steps."
- TFoH,Ch3 - Asmodean tells Rand that Graendal was somewhere in Arad Doman.
- TFoH,Ch27 - Rodel Ituralde of Arad Doman is one of the great military leaders of the Westlands.
- In Lord of Chaos
- LoC,Prologue - Refugees, mainly from Almoth Plain, but some from Tarabon and Arad Doman, are settling in the Two Rivers.
- LoC,Ch6 - Graendal has established herself as Lady Basene in a well-known palace in Arad Doman within sight of the Mountains of Mist.
- LoC,Ch43 - In 961 NE Merana Ambrey negotiates the Fifth Treaty of Falme between Arad Doman and Tarabon covering the peaceful disposition of Almoth Plain. The treaty fails almost immediately.
- In A Crown of Swords
- In Crossroads of Twilight
- CoT,Prologue - There are ongoing battles between forces loyal to the King and Dragonsworn. Rodel Ituralde has recently won victories at Kandelmar, Maseen, Solanje and Lake Somal. The Lords of Katar no longer sell to the enemies of Arad Doman.
- CoT,Prologue - Ituralde intends to meet up with the rest of his troops at Coron Ford.
- CoT,Prologue - Domani noblemen wear earrings and velvet beauty spots.
- CoT,Prologue - The sign of Arad Doman is the Sword and Hand.
- CoT,Ch18 - In the east there are confusing rumors about King Alsalam, Rodel Ituralde and Arad Doman.
- In Knife of Dreams
- KoD,Ch6 - A razor is a distinctive breed of horse with a sharp black and white pattern. They are generally owned by Domani nobles and are rarely seen outside Arad Doman.
- KoD,Ch15 - Rand orders most of the Aiel near Caemlyn to Arad Doman to help restore order there.
- KoD,Ch18 - Rand sent Dobraine Taborwin and Rhuarc to Arad Doman. The Council of Merchants claim Alsalam is still King but no one can find him. Bandar Eban is in chaos.
- KoD,Ch21 - Rand sends Darlin Sisnera and other Tairen High Lords to Arad Doman to raise and army to fight at Tarmon Gai'don.
- KoD,Ch22 - Rand sends Logain Ablar to the Sea Folk with an order to bring food and supplies to Arad Doman. The city of Bandar Eban is starving.
- KoD,Epilogue - General Turan follows Rodel Ituralde into Arad Doman. An army of a hundred thousand join Rodel Ituralde in front of Turan and another army of two hundred thousand comes out behind him.
- In The Gathering Storm
- TGS,Prologue - Rand gives a message for Falendre to deliver to the Daughter of the Nine Moons that he will be stopping the fighting in Arad Doman.
- TGS,Prologue - Graendal holds at least one of the members of the Council of Merchants.
- TGS,Ch1 - A wind rises at the White Tower. It blows across Alindaer, then the Black Hills and the Caralain Grass to Arad Doman where Rand has moved his headquarters.
- TGS,Ch7 - Rand orders Rhuarc and Bael to find members of the Council of Merchants and hold them so they can elect a new king.
- TGS,Ch10 - Ituralde retreats deep into Arad Doman only to learn that there is an army of Aiel ahead of him.
- TGS,Ch33 - With his Compulsion removed, Kerb tells Rand that Graendal is at Natrin's Barrow.
- TGS,Ch37 - Rand Travels to Natrin's Barrow and balefires the entire palace to destroy Graendal.
- TGS,Ch42 - Rand abandons Arad Doman and returns to Tear.