Pronunciation: leh-LAIN ah-KAH-shee
An Aes Sedai of the Blue Ajah and a Sitter for forty years. Her Warder is Burin Shaeren.
She is beautiful when she smiles. (NS,Ch11]) She is slender with a dignified air. She has dark, penetrating eyes, but she has a warm smile. (LoC,Ch8) Despite her age she is pretty with no gray in her dark hair. (LoC,Ch35) She is a slender, hard-eyed woman in blue-slashed silk who rations her smiles tightly. (KoD,Ch23) She is pretty, slender and graceful with an almond face and full lips. (TGS,Ch30)
Points of View#
See Lelaine Akashi's chapter points of view.
Chronology (Possible Spoilers)#
- Circa 961 NE, Lelaine is elected Sitter for the Blue Ajah. (ACoS,Ch12)
- When Moiraine and Siuan choose their Ajah, the Sitters Anlee, Lelaine and Eadyth welcome them to the Blue Ajah. (NS,Ch11])
- Anlee, Lelaine and Eadyth are the last to welcome Moiraine and Siuan to the Blue Ajah quarters. (NS,Ch12)
- Now that Moiraine and Siuan are full sisters, Lelaine, Natasia and Anaiya teach them weaves restricted to Aes Sedai such as bonding a Warder and secret weaves known only to the Blue Ajah. Lelaine and Siuan become close friends. (NS,Ch14)
- Lelaine makes her way to Salidar and joins the rebels. (LoC,Ch8)
- Lelaine Akashi stands by with Burin Shaeren while Logain tells some Altara nobles about the Red Ajah setting him up. Later, she quizzes Nynaeve about Rand, Perrin, Mat and Egwene. (LoC,Ch8)
- After Nynaeve Heals Logain, Sheriam, Romanda, Myrelle, Morvrin, Takima, Lelaine, Janya, Delana, Bharatine, Beonin, Varilin and Nisao all pile into the small room to see what happened. (LoC,Ch30)
- On the second vote for Egwene to be Amyrlin, Lelaine and Romanda are the last to stand. (LoC,Ch35)
- Sheriam, Romanda and Lelaine are furious when Egwene raises Accepted to Aes Sedai on her own. (LoC,Ch36)
- After Egwene is raised to the Amyrlin, Lelaine meets with Lyrelle, Takima, Faiselle and another Sitter to discuss how to maintain their position. (LoC,Ch37)
- Egwene's plotting works. Lelaine and Romanda agree that they must begin moving to get away from Talmanes and the Band of the Red Hand. (LoC,Ch44)
- Carlinya, Sheriam, Lelaine and Romanda want Logain gentled again. Delana wants him killed. (LoC,Ch52)
- Romanda and Lelaine battle with Sheriam for control of Egwene. They suggest reducing soldiers' pay. Lelaine gets Egwene a new maid, Selame. (ACoS,Ch8)
- Lelaine and Takima confront Egwene at the same time that Romanda and Varilin do. She demands that all talk of the Black Ajah be banned. (ACoS,Ch11)
- Egwene receives a note from Lelaine demanding again that any mention of the Black Ajah be banned. (ACoS,Ch12)
- After the meeting of the Hall, Lelaine leaves accompanied by her followers, Faiselle, Lyrelle and Takima. Lelaine returns when she learns of the meeting with the Andorans and Murandians and orders Egwene to let her do the talking. (TPoD,Ch16)
- Lelaine, Romanda and Janya provide fine clothes and jewels so Egwene will look like an Amyrlin for the meeting with the Andorans. (TPoD,Ch17)
- After the meeting with the Andorans and Murandians, Lelaine is furious that Egwene disobeyed her. (TPoD,Ch18)
- At the War Vote Lelaine and Lyrelle stand voting YES. Faiselle and Takima defy Lelaine and remain seated voting NO. (TPoD,Ch19)
- Lelaine and Romanda now spend more time fighting with each other than nitpicking Egwene. (TPoD,Ch30)
- Kairen Stang spends a lot of time with Lelaine. (CoT,Ch17)
- The Sitters meet to hear the report on Shadar Logoth. Lelaine and Moria arrive early and claim seats in the front. Lelaine wants to talk about the negotiations with Elaida, but Moria insists on the report first. Lelaine and Lyrelle are the last to stand and vote YES on an alliance with the Black Tower. (CoT,Ch19)
- Romanda and Lelaine continue to argue even after the meeting is over. (CoT,Ch20)
- Lelaine figures out that Faolain is a spy, grills her, then keeps her in seclusion. (KoD,Ch1)
- Maigan and Lelaine try to browbeat Egwene on the issues of the Kin and the Asha'man. (CoT,Ch30)
- Lelaine asks Siuan to support her against Romanda if anything happens to Egwene. (KoD,Ch1)
- Lelaine calls an emergency meeting of the Hall. Aledrin, Delana, Escaralde, Faiselle, Janya, Lyrelle, Kwamesa, Malind, Moria, Romanda, Salita, Samalin and Saroiya attend. Merise and Jahar Narishma make an offer for them to bond forty-seven Asha'man. The Hall votes to accept the offer with Faiselle and Saroiya adamantly opposed. (KoD,Ch23)
- Lelaine and Romanda continue to jockey for position but Lelaine now seems to have an edge. (TGS,Ch8)
- Lelaine learns from Ashmanaille that Elaida has Traveling and lets the information spread to weaken Egwene's position. She and Romanda would both like to put an end to Egwene's open door policy for novices. (TGS,Ch18)
- Lelaine, Romanda, Magla, Sheriam and Siuan question Shemerin in Romanda's tent. They are shocked at Elaida's audacity. Shemerin tells them about the waterway into Tar Valon. (TGS,Ch26)
- Gawyn argues with Lelaine and Romanda about rescuing Egwene but they stonewall him. (TGS,Ch30)
- The rebel Hall meets for the first time since Egwene's return. The Sitters include Berana, Kwamesa, Lelaine, Romanda, Takima and Varilin. Egwene exposes Sheriam and Moria as Black Ajah and the others retake the Oaths on prove themselves. Egwene announces a full purge of the Black Ajah and an assault on the White Tower. (TGS,Ch43)
- Now that Egwene is back in charge and needs a new Keeper of the Chronicles, Lelaine and Romanda curry favor. Lelaine reports that the army is ready and that the Dream ter'angreal are gone. Romanda reports that there has been no word from the Black Tower embassy. (TGS,Ch45)
- Lelaine and Romanda revert to their old ways and Egwene has stiff opposition from them. (TGS,Epilogue)
- Barasine, Lelaine, Romanda, Rubinde Acedone, Saerin Seaine and Yukiri judge Nynaeve's test for the shawl. Egwene also participates. Rubinde Acedone, Barasine and Lelaine vote no. (ToM,Ch20)
- Egwene interrupts a partial meeting of the Hall. She coerces them into accepting command of the military but ceding her all negotiations with rulers including the Dragon Reborn. She also forces them to accept much stricter rules to reduce subterfuge. (ToM,Ch27)
- Rand tells the leaders that they can each bring five to the meeting at the Field of Merrilor. Egwene brings Silviana, Saerin, Romanda, Lelaine and Gawyn. (AMoL,Ch5)
Other References (Possible Spoilers)#
- In New Spring
- NS,Ch14 - Lelaine and Elaida are among the strongest Aes Sedai. Moiraine and Siuan will eventually be as strong.
- In Lord of Chaos
- LoC,Ch8 - Lelaine Akashi is a Sitter in the Salidar Hall.
- LoC,Ch30 - Before she became Amyrlin, Siuan's closest friends after Moiraine were Delana and Lelaine.
- LoC,Ch30 - Delana agrees to help Siuan play Romanda against Janya and Lelaine with the goal of having Sheriam let Siuan join in their meeting with the Wise Ones in Tel'aran'rhiod.
- LoC,Ch35 - Romanda is the eldest of the Salidar Sitters. Lelaine and Janya are next.
- LoC,Ch39 - Sheriam is worried that Lelaine and Romanda will use news of Mat's army to undermine her.
- In A Crown of Swords
- ACoS,Prologue - Elaida wants Lelaine stilled as punishment and an example.
- ACoS,Ch9 - She and Romanda are the strongest Salidar Aes Sedai after Egwene, as strong as Siuan used to be.
- ACoS,Ch11 - She was a good friend of Siuan Sanche.
- ACoS,Ch11 - She and Romanda both offered protection to Theodrin and Faolain.
- ACoS,Ch12 - Lelaine has been a Sitter for forty years.
- ACoS,Ch23 - Garenia is a very strong channeler, as strong as Lelaine or Romanda.
- ACoS,Ch32 - Elaida dreams about Lelaine being humbled and stilled.
- In Crossroads of Twilight
- CoT,Ch16 - The Sitters who support negotiation are divided in their loyalty between Romanda and Lelaine.
- CoT,Ch17 - Janya, Lelaine and Lyrelle were the only Sitters from the White Tower to stand at the war vote.
- In Knife of Dreams
- KoD,Prologue - Egwene wonders whether Lelaine or Romanda will be raised after her.
- KoD,Ch2 - Beonin reports to Elaida that Lelaine and Romanda are struggling for power.
- In The Gathering Storm
- TGS,Ch38 - Siuan informs Egwene that Gawyn is in the rebel camp and is meeting with Lelaine and Romanda.
- TGS,Ch39 - Egwene is mildly disappointed that neither Lelaine nor Romanda is on Verin's list of Black Ajah.
The general rule is that the year to include in a copyright notice is the year of first publication of the work.
Copyright (c) 1998 by Gary Kephart