During the Shadow War, two giant statues sa'angreal, one attuned to saidin and one to saidar, were constructed. They were to be used to destroy the Shadow's forces and erect a barrier around Shayol Ghul until there was a safe method to permanently seal the Bore. The great sa'angreal were so powerful that using them required special control ter'angreal which were assembled in an area far removed. The control statues were lost and the giant statues were never used (SaSG).
Rand found one each of the male and female control ter'angreal in Rhuidean and he now has them hidden in the Sun Palace in Cairhien. A second female statue that is broken lies in the museum in the Panarchs Palace in Tanchico.
References (Possible Spoilers)#
- In The Shadow Rising
- TSR,Ch11 - There is a broken female control statue in the museum of the Panarchs Palace in Tanchico. It causes extreme pain if a female channeler touches it.
- TSR,Ch24 - Rand finds a pair of the control statues in the central square of Rhuidean.
- TSR,Ch58 - Rand and Asmodean fight with the male control statue and destroy much of Rhuidean. Afterwards, Rand finds the female control statue and takes both of them with him.
- In The Fires of Heaven
- In A Crown of Swords
- In Winter's Heart
- WH,Prologue - Rand rescues the control statues from the rubble of the Sun Palace and takes them with him. He plans to use them to cleanse the taint on saidin.
- WH,Ch11 - Rand gives the two control statues to Nynaeve and asks her to help him use the giant statues to cleanse the taint on saidin.
- WH,Ch13 - At Moridin's command, Cyndane tells the other Forsaken that Rand has the male and female access keys and plans to use the Choedan Kal to cleanse saidin.
- WH,Ch22 - Moridin orders Kisman to kill Rand if he must, but above all he is to recover Rand's possessions.
- WH,Ch35 - At Shadar Logoth, Rand and Nynaeve use the access keys to activate the Choedan Kal and cleanse saidin. In the process, the female access key is destroyed. Cadsuane takes the male access key.
- In The Gathering Storm
- TGS,Ch7 - Cadsuane keeps the male access key hidden and will not give it back to Rand.
- TGS,Ch14 - Cadsuane keeps the male access key and Domination Band in a heavily warded box in her rooms. She left the Sad Bracelets copies, the a'dam and Callandor with some women she trusts.
- TGS,Ch23 - Shaidar Haran leaves the male access key when he takes the Domination Band. Rand now has the access key.
- TGS,Ch37 - Rand uses the access key to draw enough of the One Power to balefire Graendal's entire palace from a distance.
- TGS,Ch44 - When Rand thinks that the Borderlanders want to trap him, he almost uses the access key to destroy them.
- TGS,Ch49 - Rand intends to use the access key to destroy the Seanchan (People) but he cannot bring himself to do it.
- TGS,Ch50 - Atop Dragonmount, Rand almost uses the access key to destroy himself as Lews Therin did. He has his epiphany then drives the One Power back to the Choedan Kal and it explodes.