The name given to thirteen of the most powerful Aes Sedai of the Age of Legends, thus among most powerful ever known, who went over to the Dark One during the War of the Shadow in return for the promise of immortality. According to both legend and fragmentary records, they were imprisoned along with Dark One when his prison was re-sealed. The names given to them are still used to frighten children. They prefer to call themselves The Chosen.
There are four new Forsaken as well:
References (Possible Spoilers)#
- In the Guide
- In The Eye of the World
- In The Great Hunt
- TGH,Prologue - At the Darkfriend social, Bors does not know if Ba'alzamon in one of the Forsaken newly freed or the Dark One himself.
- TGH,Ch7 - For some reason, Moiraine does not tell Siuan that some of the Forsaken are loose.
- TGH,Ch22 - At Adeleas' and Vandene's house, Moiraine studies Santhra's book on the Forsaken.
- In The Dragon Reborn
- In The Shadow Rising
- In The Fires of Heaven
- TFoH,Prologue - Their bonds, oaths and ties to the Great Lord protect the male Forsaken from the taint on saidin.
- TFoH,Ch14 - Birgitte tells Nynaeve that all the Forsaken are more active in Tel'aran'rhiod than anytime since their release.
- TFoH,Ch56 - Thinking of Sammael in Illian, the rest of the Forsaken and the Seanchan, Rand tells Bashere that there will be blood and death before there is peace.
- In Lord of Chaos
- LoC,Ch20 - Rand wonders why the Forsaken do not open gateways and dump thousands of Trollocs and Fades in the Royal Palace to attack him.
- LoC,Ch28 - Padan Fain is furious when he hears about the Gray Man attack on Rand, wishing the Forsaken would stop meddling in his plans. He also is wary of them knowing they would kill him in a heartbeat.
- In A Crown of Swords
- ACoS,Prologue - Elaida still does not believe that the Forsaken are loose.
- ACoS,Ch8 - The Forsaken do not have the ageless look.
- ACoS,Ch10 - The Wise One dreamwalkers have glimpsed the Forsaken in Tel'aran'rhiod, but they do not mess with each other.
- ACoS,Ch19 - Cadsuane quizzes the other Aes Sedai asking if there is proof that the Forsaken are really loose.
- ACoS,Ch23 - Although she is relatively weak, Berowin has a Talent for shielding. She could shield one of the Forsaken.
- ACoS,Ch25 - Moridin tells Moghedien that she accidentally did some good so she will continue to be one of the Chosen.
- In Winter's Heart
- In Crossroads of Twilight
- In Knife of Dreams
- In The Gathering Storm