aka: Jain Farstrider
A hero of the northern lands who journeyed to many lands and had many adventures; the author of several books, as well as being the subject of books and stories. He vanished in 981 NE, after returning from a trip into the Great Blight which some say had taken him all the way to Shayol Ghul. Early printings of The Eye of the World give an incorrect date of 994 NE for his disappearance.
Chronology (Possible Spoilers)#
- Circa 955 Jain Charin captures Cowin Gemallan Fairheart and brings him to the king's justice. (TEotW,Ch47)
- Jain Farstrider publishes his exploits in The Travels of Jain Farstrider in 968 NE. (The Dragon Reborn,Glossary)
- Jain Farstrider disappears in 981 NE after a trip into the Blight. (The Eye of the World,Glossary) Early printings of The Eye of the World give an incorrect date of 994 NE.
- About twenty years ago, Jain Charin arrives at Stedding Shangtai near death. He quickly gets well in the stedding. He leaves suddenly, but while he is there he tells the Ogier that he plans to carry a message to Tar Valon that the Dark One intents to blind the Eye of the World. (TEotW,Ch42)
- Disillusioned after the death of his beloved wife and his misuse at the hands of Ishamael, Jain Charin ends his life of adventure and uses the name Noal Charin.
- As Noal stays behind to defend their backs, he shouts to Mat and Thom to tell any Malkier they meet that Jain Farstrider died clean.
Other References (Possible Spoilers)#
- In The Eye of the World
- TEotW,Ch4 - Thom offers to tell stories of Jain Farstrider.
- TEotW,Ch5 - Tam al'Thor has the book The Travels of Jain Farstrider.
- TEotW,Ch36 - Basel Gill has the books The Travels of Jain Farstrider and Voyages Among the Sea Folk.
- TEotW,Ch51 - Ba'alzamon brags that he painted Jain Fastrider as a fool and sent him to the Ogier.
- In The Great Hunt
- In The Dragon Reborn
- In The Shadow Rising
- In Lord of Chaos
- In Knife of Dreams
- In Towers of Midnight
More Category Characters