Search Books History Geography Characters
Organizations Items Prophecies Templates
The organization of Aes Sedai who have foresworn their oaths and serve the Dark One. They come from all Ajahs. Their existence is officially and vehemently denied by other Aes Sedai. Some have recently been exposed as Black Ajah but most remain hidden.
The Black Ajah is headed by a Great Council of Thirteen. The head of this council is Alviarin Freidhen. She currently reports to Mesaana.
To minimize spoilers, Black Ajah sisters who are revealed late in the series will not be disclosed here.
- NS,Ch18 � Siuan tells Moiraine that the Black Ajah killed all five of Tamra's searchers and possibly her, too.
- NS,Ch21 � Moiraine wonders which of the sisters at The Gates of Heaven might be Black Ajah.
- NS,Ch23 � Moiraine and Siuan think there must be a connection between the unexplained deaths and the Black Ajah.
- NS,Ch25 � Moiraine thinks Cadsuane is Black Ajah.
- NS,Epilogue � Moiraine and Siuan figure out that the Black Ajah learned from Tamra that the Dragon is reborn, but not when. They are slaughtering men with the early signs of channeling ability, unusual luck or sudden rise to prominence.
- TEotW,Ch23 - First mention. Elyas recalls accusing Red Ajah sisters of being Black Ajah when they tried to gentle him.
- TEotW,Ch33 - Rand dreams of Thom warning him about the Black Ajah.
- TEotW,Ch43 - Ba'alzamon started the Black Ajah during the Trolloc Wars.
- TEotW,Ch51 - Ba'alzamon sent the Black Ajah to search for Rand.
- TGH,Ch22 - The Draghkar that attacked Moiraine was warded, implying that one of the Black Ajah (or a Forsaken) sent it.
- TDR,Ch14 - Siuan sets Egwene and Nynaeve to hunt the Black Ajah.
- TDR,Ch16 - Nynaeve asks Elayne to join the hunt for the Black Ajah.
- TDR,Ch20 - Siuan tells Mat that the Black Ajah is active in the White Tower.
- TDR,Ch53 - Moiraine figures Be'lal had someone of the Black Ajah leave the hedgehog trap for her.
- TSR,Ch5 - Most Black Ajah sisters know the identity of only two or three other Black sisters.
- TSR,Ch38 - Some members of the Black Ajah such as Chesmal and Rianna can kill using the One Power directly. This talent is uncommon and is related to ability in Healing.
- TSR,Ch38 - Liandrin's Black Ajah group is in Tanchico with orders to retrieve the sad bracelets which will control Rand.
- TSR,Ch38 - Asne Zeramene regrets having to leave her Warders when the Black Ajah members fled the White Tower. This means at least some Black Ajah members have Warders who are not Darkfriends.
- TSR,Ch38 - Black Ajah members forswear their old oaths before they swear new ones.
- TFoH,Ch9 - Elayne and Nynaeve assume that Moghedien, Liandrin and the rest of the Black Ajah escaped Tanchico.
- TFoH,Ch15 - Nynaeve is cautious in Tel'aran'rhiod because the Black Ajah still have ter'angreal that give them access.
- TFoH,Ch18 - Liandrin's Black Ajah group flees from Tanchico to Amador where Moghedien takes over.
- TFoH,Ch18 - For safety's sake, Black Ajah sisters know the identity of only a few other Black sisters.
- TFoH,Ch40 - Nynaeve is afraid to channel in Samara for fear of alerting Moghedien and the Black Ajah.
- TFoH,Ch48 - Nynaeve and Elayne cannot help when a mob attacks them in Samara for fear of alerting Moghedien and the Black Ajah.
- LoC,Ch15 - The leaders of the Salidar Aes Sedai do not share their defense plans widely because of fear of the Black Ajah.
- ACoS,Prologue - The Black Ajah is headed by a Great Council of Thirteen. The head of this council is Alviarin Freidhen. She currently reports to Mesaana.
- ACoS,Ch32 - Elaida inadvertently sets Seaine Herimon looking for the Black Ajah.
- ACoS,Ch40 - When a woman joins the Black Ajah, the Three Oaths are broken and she swears three new oaths.
- ACoS,Ch40 - Black Ajah sisters still consider themselves to be members of their old Ajahs. The duties of their old Ajahs still count, but their Black Ajah duties are superior to them.
- WH,Prologue - When Talene forswears her Black Ajah oaths on the Oath Rod, the pain is much more severe than for the Three Oaths.
- WH,Ch13 - Cadsuane counts her greatest failure as failing to root out the Black Ajah.
- WH,Ch29 - Thom and Juilin finally tell Mat about the Black Ajah and the sad bracelets in Tanchico.
- CoT,Prologue - The Black Ajah is organized in hearts of three members who know the true allegiance of each other. In addition, some cell members know an outside contact as well.
- CoT,Ch10 � When Elayne feels the powerful channeling, she fears it is the Black Ajah or the Forsaken.
- CoT,Ch16 � Delana continues to provoke the Hall with demands that they declare Elaida to be Black Ajah.
- CoT,Ch21 � Alviarin knows the name of every Black Ajah sister and their organization.
- CoT,Ch21 � Shaidar Haran orders Alviarin to find who is hunting the Black Ajah and deliver them to him.
- TGS,Ch39 � Verin reveals herself as Black Ajah to Egwene and gives her the notebook on the Black Ajah.
- TGS,Ch43 � Egwene purges the Black Ajah in the rebel camp.
- TGS,Ch45 � Over fifty Black Ajah sisters in the rebel camp are stilled and beheaded. Nearly twenty escape.
- TGS,Epilogue � Egwene purges the Black Ajah in the White Tower. They had some warning as over sixty escape.